Hi you all! Are you ready for Valentine’s Day tomorrow?? This red beetroot challah shaped like heart is the best gift you can give to your lover. This challah I made with organic beetroots, organic raw honey (instead of sugar), free-ranged egg and extra virgin olive oil. I gave to @zikkitikki my gorgeous wife. Happy Valentine’s Day honey.
For the challah-
500 gr white flour
230 ml beetroots purée
50 gr raw honey
60 ml extra virgin olive oil
10 gr dry yeast
10 gr sea salt
- Cook the beetroots until they begin to get soft. Blend the beets with three tablespoons of the cooking juice. Let it cool down.
- In the stand mixer’s bowl add the beet purée, honey, yeast, egg, flour and olive oil. Don’t mix.
- Start kneading the dough until start coming together.
- Knead for 4 min. Add the salt.
- Change the speed of the mixer one level up. Add the panettone add-ins. Mix for 8 min.
- Round the dough and place in a greased bowl covered with a towel. Let it rest until doubled in size.
- Divide as you like, I divided this beauty to 8 pieces of 110 gr each (for 2 separate challahs).
- Round each piece to a ball. Cover with a towel and let it sit for 10 min.
- Open the balls to strands and braid the two separate challahs with one side of the challah slightly thinner than the other one.
- Shape the two challahs to a heart shape as seen in the video.
- Let her proof. You know it is ready to be baked when you touched the strands (gently!!!!!) and it bounces back slowly.
- Indulge the with egg yolk with a sip of water. Brush the challah but do not make a pool of egg on the challah. Light Brushing. We don't want an omelette on our bread!
- Bake in a preheated oven to 380F or 190C for about 22 min. If the top of the challah gets brown to fast, cover the top with an aluminium foil.
- Cool the challah on a rack.
- Give the challah to your lover! Or to your date tomorrow night!