This savoury flatbread reminds me of many moments from my childhood. My dad used to make it once in awhile when we finished the groceries of the week. It such a simple quick dough, with no yeast!!! This means that your Gözleme can be done in about an hour! That’s nuts! I came up with this recipe filled with traditional pan fried onion, spinach, feta cheese and chilli flakes. You should eat it directly from the pan when it still hot like crazy! But, I ate some old ones and honestly Gözleme is always delicious. Turkey has a very special place in my heart, more recipes from their cuisine are about to come!
For the dough-
500 gr white flour
220 gr lukewarm water
80 gr thick greek yogurt
20 gr extra virgin olive oil
5 gr salt
For the filling-
Big bag of spinach, you will need a lot :)
150 gr feta cheese (I used goat)
Chopped half onion
Chilli flakes (I used Turkish maraş biberi)
- Chop the onions and fry in a pan until getting soft.
- Add the spinach, cook for 2 min until lose its volume.
- Let it cool down, add the feta and the chilli flakes.
- In a bowl add flour, yogurt, olive oil, water and the salt. Mix well until all the ingredients incorporated in the dough.
- Keep working the dough on working surface for about 10 min until the dough is elastic and smooth.
- Round the dough and place to rest, covered with a towel, for about 30-60 min.
- Divide the dough as you like the size of your Gözleme, I divided my dough to 8 even pieces.
- With a rolling pin or a long stick open the pieces of dough on a floured surface to a super thin layer.
- Put some of the filling in the centre of the dough sheet and fold on itself.
- Heat a pan with oil. Fry each side of the Gözleme for 2 min.
- Cut while still hot and serve with a slice of lemon.
- Afiyet Olsun (bon appetit in Turkish).