Whoever is not familiar with these cookies- S'mores are an American sweet treat composed of graham crackers, chocolate, and campfire marshmallows. Their name is a shortened version of "Some More" because you always need some more of these cookies. The first recipe for the S'mores cookie appeared in a cookbook released in 1920 and indicated that it was a very popular sweet among girl scouts.
I decided to make my own version of this unique cookie, filling a chocolate cookie dough with all the S'mores fixins'. The result is so addictive! A gooey cookie filled with melted marshmallows and lots of chocolate? Are you kidding me? IT'S A YASSS.
For the cookies-
380 gr flour
360 gr chocolate chips
250 gr soft butter
220 gr brown sugar
115 gr white sugar
6 gr baking soda
6 gr salt
2 free-range eggs
For the s'mores-
Graham crackers Marshmallows Chocolate cubes
- In a bowl mix the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a stand mixer's bowl add the soft butter, white and brown sugar. Using the beater attachment- beat butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time. You see it's incorporated in the batter- add the second egg.
- Scrape the side of the bowl with a spatula.
- Add the vanilla. Mix for another minute.
- Add the flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix only until incorporated. We don't want to work the batter too much because gluten development will result in harder cookies.
- Add all the chocolate chips just until incorporated in the dough.
- Place the cookie dough in the fridge to consolidate for at least 2 hours (you can always make it a night in advance).
- Before you start to shape the cookies- preheat the oven to 380F or 195C.
- Then take the cookie dough and scoop balls about 4-5 cm diameter (approximately 1/4 cup of cookie dough).
- Flatten the cookie balls and place on top of them- a piece of graham cracker, one cube of chocolate, and a marshmallow.
- Scoop another ball of cookie dough, flatten, and use to cover s'more until no marshmallow is visible.
- Place the raw cookies in the fridge for 15 min.
- Arrange the cookies on a baking sheet with enough space one from another.
- Bake for 18-20 min.
- Once you take the cookies out of the oven, place a bigger bowl over each cookie and roll it gently around it to get a perfect round cookie.