It's ramps season people! And couldn't be more excited! 👏🏻 Last week I went foraging with Zikki and Olivia. We drove upstate (in New York), and found ourselves near Woodstock. This whole magical area is full of ramps and garlic mustard greens right now, just in time to announce the beginning of spring.
In my latest reel, I shared with you some tips on how to forage ramps sustainably, so make sure to check it out before you go on this wild and deeply fulfilling adventure.
In theme with our adventure, the other day I found a ramps butter recipe by Thom Bateman and I just had to give it a try. And let me tell you guys- it's absolutely the most delicious butter I've ever had! The ratio of butter to ramps is just perfect, not overwhelming at all, getting only more addictive as you go! Garlic-oniony notes spread on a toast of rye bread with some flakey salt, what else do you need for breakfast? If you guys are going foraging for ramps soon- you have to give this recipe a try! I promise you, if you, you’ll find yourself in the forest once again the following week searching for that sweet green leaves!
225 gr super soft butter
100 gr vegetable oil
80 gr wild ramps
5-10 gr flakey salt
- Forage ramps sustainably (you can also get them in local farmer's markets, but it's more fun to get them yourself).
- Wash the ramps under cold water and shake them off to dry.
- Heat up the vegetable oil to 60C or 140F, warm but not hot!
- In a blender, blend the ramps with the oil until smooth.
- In a bowl, combine a super soft butter, the ramps puree, and the salt.
- Mix well until you get a homogenous mixture.
- Store in the fridge (if you didn't finish it beforehand 🤭)