I really love bagels. It’s hard for me to decide what is my favourite bagel but NY everything is one of them for sure. Beautiful crisp crust with a chewy crumb, coated with everything seasoning. Damn it’s a good topping. Here I made the everything mix myself from onions and garlic @zikkitikki dried a few months ago. Bagels are easy and quick to make so there is no reason why don’t you make it for your lovers this weekend.
For the bagel-
500 gr white flour
300 gr warm water
10 gr dry yeast
10 gr salt
30 gr barley malt
For the seasoning-
50 gr poppy seeds
50 gr sesame seeds
50 gr black sesame seeds
50 gr dried onions
50 gr dried garlic
For the boiling water-
3 L water
3 tablespoon of barley malt
1 tablespoon baking soda
- In a bowl mix water, yeast and the malt. The malt gives the bagels their distinctive flavour. Stir well and let it sit for 10 min.
- Add the flour. Work in the bowl until all incorporated, then knead the dough out of the bowl on a working surface for 3 min.
- Add the salt. Keep kneading for additional 8 min (Total kneading 12 min).
- Round the dough and let it rest until doubled in size, covered with a towel.
- Punch the dough.
- Divide to 100 gr pieces. Rounds each piece to a ball shape. Cover and let it rest for 10 min.
- Open each ball to a strand (like challah) and close the edges on each other in your hand. Sealing it properly.
- Let the bagels to rest on a greased baking sheet for 25 min. Preheat the oven to 425F or 220C.
- Bring water to boil, add the additional malt and baking powder.
- Lower the heat to medium.
- Cook the bagels (one layer!) for 1 min each side.
- Take the bagels out and cover them with the everything seasoning.
- Bake quickly after seasoning for 25 min.
- Let them cool.
- Open them and fill with cream cheese, cured salmon, red onions, capers, dill and take a bite.
- What a wonderful bagel. YOOOO.