Do you know monkey bread? The sweet pastry consists of many little cinnamon balls attached together into a cake shape and pulled apart one by one? So Monkey Rogalach is the same, but using Rogalach (and if you ask me- it is much better). It's a very satisfying recipe to make. You start with a beautiful buttery dough, on which you then spread the traditional cocoa-sugar filling (not chocolate, cocoa, and sugar). You then roll little Rogalachs and place them together in a cake pan or a pot (I used my Jahnun pot, which came out to be the best pot for this recipe because of its superior height). The Rogalach then proof into each other, and once baked they become one cake. The smell, when the monkey Rogalach comes out of the oven, is unreal! Now the biggest question is: pull the Rogalach apart or slice a piece??
Ingredients for one cake:
For the dough-
250 gr white flour
250 gr whole wheat flour
150 ml milk at RT
100 gr soft butter (not melted).
90 gr white sugar
10 gr dry yeast
10 gr salt
For the filling-
200 gr brown sugar
150 gr melted butter
100 gr high-quality cocoa
For the syrup-
Water and sugar in equal amounts
- In a bowl, add the flour, yeast, and sugar and mix well.
- Add the milk and eggs and mix all ingredients until almost no flour remains in the bowl. Add the soft butter (note !!! soft butter, not melted!).
- Add salt. Move the dough to a working surface. Knead dough manually for about 10 to 7 minutes until smooth and sexy dough is obtained.
- Round the dough and place in a bowl covered with a towel, let it proof until almost doubled the volume (it might take longer than you think because of the butter in the dough).
- While waiting for the dough to proof- melt butter. When the melted butter cools a bit, add the cocoa and sugar and stir until combined (if the cocoa-sugar paste gets hard when you want to spread it on the dough, just place it over boiling water [bain marie] for few seconds, stirring constantly).
- After proofing, divide the dough in half. Take one of the halves, open it with a rolling pin for a rectangular dough, about 0.5 cm thickness.
- Using the scraper or spatula, spread the cocoa filling we prepared on the dough.
- Using a knife or a pizza slicer, cut the dough into narrow-long triangles. Start rolling them out from the wide side- Repeat with the extra piece of dough.
- Place our sexy Rogalach in a pot or a cake pan. Make sure you brush the pot perfectly with butter. I put baking paper in the pot which makes it much easier to take the cake out of the pot once ready. Let them proof for another 45 minutes.
- At this time prepare the syrup for the Rogalach- dissolve water and sugar in equal amounts in a pot. Let the syrup cool down.
- Preheat oven to 356F or 180C degrees.
- Brush your monkey Rogalach with an egg and bake in the oven for 45-55 minutes. If the Rogalach gets dark too fast just place an empty baking tray above the cake. It will prevent direct heat from the top of the oven.
- Brush your Rugelech with the syrup (it is very important that the syrup is cold and the Rugelech is hot).
- Now it's your decision: to pull apart or to cut a slice?! I did both.