Happy Easter Gingis! What is a better way to celebrate easter than with a homemade Hot Cross Buns, one of the staples of the holiday. Hot cross buns are spiced semi-sweet buns, made with spices like cinnamon and nutmeg (I decided to add some Baharat spice to the dough), marked with a cross on top. The cross representing the crucifixion of Jesus, and the spices inside signifying the spices used to embalm him at his burial and may also include orange peel to reflect the bitterness of his time on the Cross. These beautiful buns are the best morning snack if you guys are looking for a semi-sweet breakfast. Just spread a nice amount of soft butter, sprinkle some sea salt, and you are set!
For the buns-
500 gr flour
180 ml milk (lukewarm)
100 gr brown sugar
70 gr soft butter
60 gr raisins
60 gr currants
60 gr dates
10 gr dry yeast
5 gr salt
5 gr cinnamon
5 gr baharat/allspice
For the cross-
100 ml water
70 gr flour
For the glazing-
- In a stand mixer bowl, add milk, dry yeast and sugar and mix well.
- Add the eggs, salt, cinnamon, baharat, orange zest, flour (add 80% of the amount at that point, keep 20% aside) and the butter.
- Knead on the lowest speed for 5 min until you get a cohesive dough, then- add the dry fruits and the rest of the flour. Keep kneading on the lowest speed for additional 7 min.
- Round the dough and place in an oiled bowl, covered with a towel, until doubled in size.
- Deflate the dough and divide to 90-100 gr pieces. Round each piece into a tight ball and place in a tray (with a parchment paper so you won't have any problems to get the buns out once ready). Place the balls, leaving one inch space between one to another.
- Cover the tray with a towel until the buns touch each other.
- Prepare the cross batter by simply combining flour and water in a bowl until you get a thick paste consistency. Transfer the batter into a piping bag.
- Preheat the oven to 375F or 190C.
- Once the buns are ready to bake, pipe the batter in a cross shape on top of them.
- Bake for 20-25 min, until the crust has gotten a nice golden color.
- Remove from the oven and immediately brush with the marmalade.
- Eat while still warm!