Rosh Hashana is around the corner and I had to share with you the traditional cake of the holiday- honey cake. We use honey to manifest sweetness in our lives for the following year. Additionally, early fall is the perfect time of the year to extract honey from the beehives. Most nectar flows finish by the end of the summer so it is a good idea to harvest honey sometime in early September.
There are many recipes out there for a fantastic honey cake but there is only one that really inspired me this year. I got this recipe from Keren Agam, one of my favorite bakers. I did some adjustments and replaced the cinnamon powder with the incredible spices mix I got from my friend Lior: Honey-Saffron-Lemon and Coffee-Clove-Cinnamon. I baked the cake in a bundt pan but you can feel free to use an English cake pan. Just remember- fill up your pan up to 3/4 of its volume to prevent the cake from slipping out of the mold. She's such a wonderful cake! Tomorrow I'll share with you another beautiful recipe for the holiday. Stay tuned. Hag Shameh and Shana Tova.
370 gr organic raw honey (local if you can)
320 ml water (half hot, half room temperature)
320 gr flour
200 ml canola oil
200 gr brown sugar
3 free-range eggs (medium size)
20 gr spices, I used here a blend of honey-saffron-lemon and coffee-clove-cinnamon, but you can replace it with cinnamon or baharat
7 gr baking powder
5 gr baking soda
5 gr salt
For the topping:
Sliced roasted almods
Honey (to brush)
- Preheat the oven to 170C or 345F.
- We will need three bowls for this recipe. Let's start with the first one- Mix together the honey, hot water (half of the total water (180 ml)), and baking soda. Once the honey is dissolved, add the rest of the water. This is our honey mixture.
- In another bowl- mix the flour, baking powder, salt, and spices. If you want your cake to be darker in color- add a tablespoon of cocoa powder. This is our flour mixture.
- In the third bowl- beat the eggs and the brown sugar.
- Add the oil and whisk well. This is our egg mixture.
- Add half of the flour mixture into the egg mixture, mix well until incorporated. Don't mix too much because we don't want to develop gluten too much.
- Add all the honey mixture in and mix well.
- Add the rest of the flour mixture.
- Spray the cake pan with oil.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan, 3/4 of the height. Always better to pour less batter than more and then it's getting messy all over the oven.
- Bake for 45 min. Perform the toothpick test to check if ready (insert the toothpick in the center of the cake, if it comes out with moist crumbs on it- it's ready!).
- Let the cake cool down 10 min before removing it from the pan.
- Brush with honey, spread the sliced almonds, and sprinkle powdered sugar on top.