Updated: Nov 19, 2021
Burekitas is another loved snack from my childhood. I remember when I was young- my mom used to send me to the local bakery to get some fresh pastries in the morning. Rogalach and burekitas were always my go-to. Burekitas is a type of small baked dumplings that are well known in any Sephardic household. They can be considered a smaller version of Burekas pastries. They are served at any time of the day, as a light meal or a snack. The varieties of recipes are many, but all aim for the same result: crumbly, crispy dough with a savory filling. For the filling today I chose burnt eggplant and feta with lots of black pepper. The eggplant gives the burekitas a smokey flavor and the black pepper gives it a wonderfully spicy kick. Takes about 2 hours from start to Burekitas. YASSS.
For the dough-
500 gr flour
260 gr boiling water
75 gr canola oil
10 gr salt
For the filling-
200 gr feta
For the topping-
Free-range egg (to brush)
- In a bowl add the flour and salt and mix well.
- Add the oil and boiling water. Mix with a wooden spoon first so you don't burn yourself.
- Once all the ingredients are incorporated into a dough, move the dough to a working surface and knead for about 6 min.
- Round the dough to a tight ball and let it rest in a bowl for about 30-60 min.
- In the meantime, prepare the filling. Burn the eggplant on the stove (check my recipe for Baba Ganoush to see how to burn an eggplant on the stove).
- Let the eggplant cool down, then peel the skin.
- Once the eggplant has cooled down, add the feta and the black pepper and mix well to a homogenous paste.
- Using a rolling pin- open the dough to a 1/2 cm rectangle shape.
- Score circles with a glass.
- Place a teaspoon of the filling in the center of each circle.
- Close to half circle and tight the edges. Seal the edges by squeezing them with a fork.
- Put the burekitas on a baking tray and place them in the fridge for about an hour.
- Set the oven to 375F or 190C.
- Take the burekitas out of the fridge, brush with egg wash and sprinkle a nice amount of sesame seeds.
- Bake for 20-25 min.
- Remove from the oven and eat immediately.