Bagel toast is absolutely one of my favorite childhood foods. Not many of you know it about me, but for years I was a super picky eater. Eating only very basic stuff, not diverse at all. And the toast was the dish I felt most comfortable with. A spread, cheese, and toppings. Very simple and straightforward. For this toast, I made the bagel from scratch which makes it the coolest bagel toast I ever had. Usually, bagels are high and thick, containing a lot of dough that is not necessary for the toast at all (Zikki taught me to ask to scoop my NY bagel- brilliant). My method is to flatten the bagels after we shape them. It results in a wide-flat bagel, perfect for your toast. 2.5 hours from start to bite.
500 gr white flour
200 gr water
100 gr milk
15 gr olive oil
10 gr salt
10 gr honey
10 gr dry yeast
- In a bowl add water, milk, olive oil, honey, and yeast. Stir them well for about 2 min.
- Add the flour and start mixing. When all the ingredients come together, add the salt.
- Work the dough until you feel most of the salt was incorporated in the dough and move the dough to a working surface.
- Knead the dough for about 8-10 min, until it's smooth and sexy.
- Round the dough into a tight ball and it rests in a clean bowl, covered with a towel until almost double in size.
- After the dough has raised in size, punch it to take out all the air.
- Divide the dough into 200 gr pieces. Each one of them, shape into a tight ball and cover with a towel to rest for about 20 min.
- Then make a hole in the center of the dough ball and start stretching it evenly to create a bagel shape.
- Dip the bagel in water, then coat it completely with sesame seeds.
- Place the bagels on a baking tray (with a baking sheet) about 2-3 cm from each other.
- Smash them into 1/2 cm thickness, cover with a towel, and let them rest until double in size.
- In the meantime- preheat the oven to 375F or 190C.
- Bake the bagels for 20-25 min.
- Let them cool down for about half an hour.
- Open the bagel in half and spread pizza sauce (literally tomato diced in a can, basil leaves, garlic, olive oil, and salt), cheese (to your choice), and olives (or any other toppings you have in mind).
- Toast the bagel in a toaster until the cheese melts and you get a nice crust.
- Eat immediately. And make one for each person you host. I'm not sure you will share it :)